Ahead Governor Willie Obiano’s 65th birthday which will take place on Saturday 8th August 2020 and will be without celebration. This post is dedicated to his achievements in the state since he took the mantle of leadership.
Here are 5 major achievements of the Willie Obiano administration:
• Workers’ welfare: Anambra under Mr. Obiano increased the salary of workers by 15 per cent in 2015 at a time when many states were looking for bailouts. He has since cleared the N1.9 billion arrears of salaries owed the State Water Corporation staff as well as the approximately N1 billion pension owed Local Government retirees inherited by his administration.
• Transportation: Gov. Willie Obiano’s administration has made attempts at changing urban transportation in Anambra State by initiating the modern mass transit scheme that covers the three major cities in the state with 200 brand new taxis and 40 luxurious buses. This was followed up by the construction of modern bus stops and bus terminals in strategic parts of the state. This initiative was recently expanded to include marine transport with 24 Speedboats and Water Ambulances and one Gunboat for the Nigerian Navy. The idea is to open access to the riverine communities in the state and ensure that no part of the state is cut off.
• Security: Gov. Willy Obiano has done relatively well in trying to change Anambra’s notorious tag as the theatre of crime and criminality in Nigeria’s south-east. He launched an all-out war against kidnappers, armed robbers, drug-dealers and child-traffickers. The governor donated cars to the police, a gunboat to the Navy and a helicopter to police.
• Road construction: Mr. Obiano has built and maintained many roads and bridges in this state. Three flyovers have been built in Awka. He has also built two bridges and a five-Cell culvert in Awgbu-Ndiukwuenu-Awa-Ufuma axis. The administration says it asphalted over 102 roads.
• Health: Mr. Obiano has added new units to the Onitsha General Hospital and has built a helipad for air ambulances for emergency cases. He has also built several blocks of houses that will serve as Isolation Units in cases of epidemics. The complex has been designated as the Centre for Tropical Disease Control. In addition, the government is in partnership with the Rise Health Incorporation of America to strengthen rural health delivery in the state. The partnership gave birth to a specialist outfit known as the Anambra Business Coalition (ABC) through which the Orumba General Hospital has been refurbished and equipped to deliver world class medical services to the people of Orumba North and South.
It should also be pointed out that His government has attracted international investments and partnerships;
exponentially expanded agricultural production and exporting some vegetable and rice; built roads and flyovers; improved access to healthcare facilities and importantly allowed communities to pick their preferred projects while his government provided the funds.
Credit: Premium Times