As part of its responsibilities to support the home church as well as take care of the welfare needs of the members, the Immanuel Anglican Church Onitsha, has called for support to ensure it continues the progress with the work of God entrusted to its care.
Furthermore, the association also requested both the presence and financial support towards the success of its annual August meeting which is scheduled to hold from Friday 14th August through to the 16th August 2020.
According to Dr. Amala Odita, the President of Immanuel Anglican Church, a subset of the Onitsha Anglican Women Association, the events lined up for the August meeting includes OAWA General meeting which flags off on Thursday 13th August; village meetings, skill acquisition and exhibition of projects taking place on Friday 14th August. Then on Saturday 15th August, Immanuel Church Meeting, presentation, and launching of address to raise funds for the project. Finally on Sunday 16th Thanksgiving and Cutting of cake to raise funds.
The Onitsha Anglican Women Association formerly known as Ikporo Onicha Ndi Uka was founded in 1961 by Mrs. Margaret Chinezu Umunna. Its current National President is Mrs. Chinwe Mbanugo while Dr. Amala Odita is the President of Immanuel Anglican Church.
Some of the projects OAWA has embarked on since its inception include the following:
- Erection of Onitsha Anglican Girls Secondary School in 1962. First intake in 1963, 1st Principal Mrs. Dinah Erinne.
- Rehabilitation of Ugwunobankpa Rd. Inland Town, Onitsha.
- Projects 1 and 2 under late Mrs. M. Chinezu Umunna- 1st President of the Association.
- An Onicha Ado Combined Community Project, OAWA inclusive: a block of flats in Inland Town.
- Revolving soft loans and financial aids to women for small scale businesses.
- Welfare matters: Visitation to the sick, elderly, etc with financial aids.
- Support to the church for the furtherance of the gospel in our community.
- Revitalizing the use of the 1st indigenous Igbo hymn & prayer book written in the Onicha dialect called Akwukwo Ukwe na Akwukwo Ekpele.