By Itty Okopide
What is better than a Thursday filled with chocolates and movies? You may have those bubbly plans against Friday with your folks and not have time for movie nights. Our instincts tell us Thursday is a good idea for movies if you try not to stay dizzy at work.
We have curated a number of movies depicting culture from different perspectives. Now let us dive into our “oldie goodie” movie recommendations for your Thursday movie night.
- The Visitor: You can never know much about yourself till you return home. Find out more about Walter and his encounters at home.
- Something New: Romance lovers, where art thou? explore aspects of middle/upperclass African-American culture and interracial/interclass dating in this movie.
- The Scent of Green Papaya: What influence does culture have on a beautiful young peasant girl who may have found love.
- Real Women Have Curves: Imagine being told you have too many curves? does that fall under cultural expectations or class constrictions?
- Monsoon Wedding: The struggle with to maintain cultural traditions don’t end. Get more insight on how this family keeps focus in a constantly changing world.