’’ If you want to hide anything from an African man, put in a book’’
The popular quote above which is rather insulting denotes the basic truth which is that Africans don’t have steady reading cultures except they are writing exams , I particularly remember writing my final papers in university, while everyone was looking forward to graduating, all i thought of was the beauty of never reading fervently again.Well jokes on me, because i learnt in the real world, you really never stop reading and advancing your knowledge,that is why everybody must develop good reading cultures.
Reading is not as interesting as surfing the net or atching television, most people rather stay glued to the screens of a television than to let their brainexplore amazing places with reading.
Reading however develops the mind, it is how we discover new things,TV and computer games have their place, but they are more like amusement. Amusement comes from two words “a” [non] and “muse” [think]. Amusement is non-thinking activities. With reading, a person can go anywhere in the world…or even out of it! They can be a king, or an adventurer, or a princess, or… The possibilities are endless. Non-readers never experience these joys to the same extent. A reading culture is important as we get older to learn, unlearn and relearn.
To kickstart your reading journey, i would be listing a few books that every individual has to read, so jump into the reading progressive crew and watch your world unfold!!!!
- Things Fall Apart- (Chinua Achebe):Things Fall Apart is about the tragic fall of the protagonist, Okonkwo, and the Igbo culture. Okonkwo is a respected and influential leader within the Igbo community of Umuofia in eastern Nigeria.
- Americanah(Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie) :It tells a powerful story about love, race, and immigration. Ifemelu, a young Nigerian woman living in Princeton, New Jersey, decides to move back to Nigeria after a breakup.
- Men are from mars and Women are from venus (John Gray): The book states that most common relationship problems between men and women are a result of fundamental psychologicaldifferences between the sexes.
- Half Of a Yellow Sun(Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie): The book jumps between events that took place during the early and late 1960s, when the war took place, and extends until the end of the Biafran war
- Why You Act The Way You Do(Tim Lahaye):Tim Lahaye explains his unique theory of temperament blends and tells how you can improve yourself by identifying your own personality strengths and weaknesses.
INLAND TOWN 2019!!!