Inlandtown.com correspondent in Onitsha Mr. Chu Ifeajuna had a chat with Dr. Mrs Kanayo Chukwurah Education Secretary Onitsha South Local Government Area , In an interview throwing more light on educational sector in Anambra State.
How would you rate the standard of education in Nigeria ?
– Education is a process of receiving or giving systematic instruction
Especially a School. or a process of imparting or acquiring general
Knowledge , developing the Power of reasoning and judgment .
– The standard of Education in Nigeria now is relatively above average
How does government policies on education affect the education sector?
– When we look at the national policy on education which has 5 main goal
It affect education system positively
- MAIN GOALS
- a free and democratic Society
- a just and egalitarian Society
- a united strong and self reliant Nation
- a great and dynamic economy
- a land full of bright opportunity for all citizens
– When we look at these 5 main goals you find out that these goal are in line With the 6-3-3-4 System in Nigeria
The subject we study are in line with the goals- we have the core Subject – English , Maths ,
Igbo as the case may be , vocational Social Science ,and science subject . Nigeria system of
educational now stresses on child centered education and also on “Hand on method of
teaching/learning process. Here we talk of input process out to suit the society.
In what way have the Anambra State Government (Presently) affected the Educational System.
Anambra State Governor Chief Willie Obiano (Akpokue Dike Aguleri) is aware that Education is
the only of means national development and has been putting education at the fore front and
has been giving increased attention to schools?
- The State has giving financial grant to school to the tune of over 6 million naira , modern facilities like computer, laboratory equipment, repair of dilapidated school buildings and building of new ones both in Missions and Government owned schools.
- The State is the first in Nigeria to lunch at State level World Bank Education programme Invested Project (SEPIP),State Technical Support Unit(SPIPU).
- The SEPIP project is expected to serve over 2 million children in Anambra,Bauchi and Ekiti State.
- With that Anambra has done in funding education ,a visiting World Bank Official Maria –Nelly has described some of Anambra schools as enviable, models and standard across the nation and urge other State to emulate Anambra state.
- Recruitment of teachers at least help to match the population Explosion of pupils and students in schools
- There has been incentive to rural area of 20% basic salary .more from urban to rural N3000 paid monthly to secondary school teachers of English , Mathematics and Sciences .
- Increased attention to schools has started yielding desired fruit in Anambra State .Anambra State has taken an overall best position in Nigeria twice in West Africa Senior Certificate Examination (WASSCE) What are the Education Challenge in Anambra State as it concerns Onitsha South Local Government Education Authority (LGEA)?
-Before I talk about challenges, I have to first talk about positive effect. Since my assumption of office 1st may 2014 as the Education Secretary , there has been tremendous improvement in Education .
-Chief Willie Obiano has given a lot of grant to both Mission and Public Schools in Onitsha South Local Government Education Authority .There has been a face lift in the school infrastructure . Thanks to our able ASUBSB Executive Chairman chief Nzemeka Olisa Okoisi (PEN) for his positive thinking in education by organizing seminars, workshop and even retreat for head teacher to improve teacher’s skills and academic standards. This in turn helped to improve teaching /learning process in the Local Government Area . The establishment Of Quality Assurance Department that is responsible for effective supervision and monitoring of teachers and examination.
– Supervision is usually done 3 times in a term first checks and corridor test on the day of first day of opening schools, secondly is clinical supervision of individual teacher and thirdly examination monitoring .
– These change in the Local Government Education Authority were actualized and indicator is seen in the academic performance in the end of session examination were the overall percentage pass is 97% while percentage failure is 3%.
– Extra-curricular activities – The local Government Education Authority Sponsors a lot of competitions both within and outside the State . For example Presidential debate held at Abuja 2014 and 2015, Anambra State took first position in both years being represented by pupils from the Local Government Education Authority pupils from the Local Government Area formed the legislative Council that passed the bill in child’s right and came back with Trophies
– The pupils from Local Government Education Authority excelled in several other competitions where the individual schools participated and won numerous trophies.
- Apart from all these goodies there are still some challenges in the Local Government Education Authority
- Non availability of vehicle affect supervision and monitoring of schools
- Low funding of the Local Government Education Authority .
- What is your advise to the Education Board on Examination malpractices.
– when teacher teach well and pupils understand and learn well there will be no room for examination malpractices .The board is trying in the aspect of making teachers to teach well and there is also improvement on the part of pupils.
The ministry of Education which is the body responsible for examination is now trying by closing some of these “special centres “ which encourage exam malpractice .
My advise is that schools should not be allowed to register number of student greater than what they have at the end of SSII.
- Let there be no new intake into exam classes to climate those student that leave their school or origin to other schools during examination .