Inlandtown.com correspondent in Onitsha Mr. Chu Ifeajuna had a chat with Dr. Mrs Kanayo Chukwurah Education Secretary Onitsha South Local Government Area , In an interview throwing more light on educational sector in Anambra State.
How would you rate the standard of education in Nigeria ?
– Education is a process of receiving or giving systematic instruction
Especially a School. or a process of imparting or acquiring general
Knowledge , developing the Power of reasoning and judgment .
– The standard of Education in Nigeria now is relatively above average
How does government policies on education affect the education sector?
– When we look at the national policy on education which has 5 main goal
It affect education system positively
– When we look at these 5 main goals you find out that these goal are in line With the 6-3-3-4 System in Nigeria
The subject we study are in line with the goals- we have the core Subject – English , Maths ,
Igbo as the case may be , vocational Social Science ,and science subject . Nigeria system of
educational now stresses on child centered education and also on “Hand on method of
teaching/learning process. Here we talk of input process out to suit the society.
In what way have the Anambra State Government (Presently) affected the Educational System.
Anambra State Governor Chief Willie Obiano (Akpokue Dike Aguleri) is aware that Education is
the only of means national development and has been putting education at the fore front and
has been giving increased attention to schools?
-Before I talk about challenges, I have to first talk about positive effect. Since my assumption of office 1st may 2014 as the Education Secretary , there has been tremendous improvement in Education .
-Chief Willie Obiano has given a lot of grant to both Mission and Public Schools in Onitsha South Local Government Education Authority .There has been a face lift in the school infrastructure . Thanks to our able ASUBSB Executive Chairman chief Nzemeka Olisa Okoisi (PEN) for his positive thinking in education by organizing seminars, workshop and even retreat for head teacher to improve teacher’s skills and academic standards. This in turn helped to improve teaching /learning process in the Local Government Area . The establishment Of Quality Assurance Department that is responsible for effective supervision and monitoring of teachers and examination.
– Supervision is usually done 3 times in a term first checks and corridor test on the day of first day of opening schools, secondly is clinical supervision of individual teacher and thirdly examination monitoring .
– These change in the Local Government Education Authority were actualized and indicator is seen in the academic performance in the end of session examination were the overall percentage pass is 97% while percentage failure is 3%.
– Extra-curricular activities – The local Government Education Authority Sponsors a lot of competitions both within and outside the State . For example Presidential debate held at Abuja 2014 and 2015, Anambra State took first position in both years being represented by pupils from the Local Government Education Authority pupils from the Local Government Area formed the legislative Council that passed the bill in child’s right and came back with Trophies
– The pupils from Local Government Education Authority excelled in several other competitions where the individual schools participated and won numerous trophies.
– when teacher teach well and pupils understand and learn well there will be no room for examination malpractices .The board is trying in the aspect of making teachers to teach well and there is also improvement on the part of pupils.
The ministry of Education which is the body responsible for examination is now trying by closing some of these “special centres “ which encourage exam malpractice .
My advise is that schools should not be allowed to register number of student greater than what they have at the end of SSII.
May 14, 2016 0
Jan 13, 2018 0
Mar 01, 2018 0The Online Publishers Association of Nigeria, OPAN,...
Jan 06, 2018 0What a beautiful way to end the year on Sunday 31...
Jan 13, 2018 0